It sounds like a myth, like Ryan Gosling walking into your favourite pet store and offering to buy you a puppy, but this whole raw vegan dessert movement is a REAL thing you guys. We got food blogger Tanisha Angel to create some glorious treats just for you to try!
Here at gUrl mag a major dilemma we face is wanting to stay healthy but also being normal human beings who enjoy the company of chocolate.So in the name of *research* we tracked down a legit vegan dessert blogger. All for you and definitely not at all for ourselves.
At just 19, Tanisha Angel dreams up delicious guilt-free treats for cafes around her native Sydney.“I’ve always been into food and I’ve been cooking since I was old enough to reach the stove!” says the talented blogger and future naturopath.“It wasn’t until I was 15 that I began health-ifying my favourite foods. I found my speciality in creating raw vegan versions of treats like chocolate bars and cheesecakes.”
In her first column for gUrl, we asked Tanisha to share two recipes a non-chef can totally take on.“The recipes I’ve created here use plant based whole foods which nourish your body so you feel satisfied and full of energy for the day,” she says.“I don’t believe in depriving yourself of the foods you love. It’s about finding ways to enjoy nourishing versions of them.”
Check out her recipes below and try not to drool on your screen.
BERRY FRESH SWIRLY SMOOTHIE BOWL
This antioxidant rich bowl is perfect for brekkie and can be made in a matter of minutes.
Ideal for busy school mornings!
1.5 frozen bananas
1/4cup frozen mango
1/2cup raspberries (can use other berries but the colour will change!)
250mL coconut water
1tbsp coconut milk
Toppings of choice (more berries, cacao nibs, coconut chips etc.)
1. Blend bananas, mango, raspberries and coconut water in a blender until smooth
2. Pour smoothie into a bowl
3. Drizzle the coconut milk in a circle around the smoothie
4. Using a chopstick or a straw, swirl the coconut milk back and forth in the smoothie to create pretty swirls
5. Top with berries and other toppings
RAW WHITE CHOC AND RASPBERRY CHEESECAKE
This is one of my signature raw vegan cheesecakes.
It's gluten, refined sugar and dairy free, making it a true guilt free dessert.
½ cup raw almonds
3tbsp raw agave nectar
1 ½ cups raw cashew nuts
1tsp vanilla essence
¼ cup raw coconut milk
2tsp coconut butter
5tbsp rice malt syrup (can substitute maple syrup)
2tbsp coconut oil
½ cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
For the base:
1. Pulse or process nuts until they resemble crumbs
2. Transfer to a bowl, add the coconut oil and agave nectar and mix until well combined
3. Pack tightly into a pie or spring form cake tin and place in freezer
For the filling:
1. Blend or process cashews, vanilla essence, coconut butter and raw coconut milk until they resemble a smooth batter
2. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the agave nectar and coconut oil until well combined
3. Scoop ¾ of the batter on top of the base and return to freezer
4. Blend the remaining ¼ of batter with the raspberries until smooth and pour onto the first layer
5. Return to freezer for at least two hours
6. Place cheesecake in fridge for 15-30minutes (to allow to soften) prior to serving
7. Slice, top with fresh berries and serve